Thursday, February 19, 2009
Butterflies
This summer was the first time in my adult life that I've had a yard to work on and cultivate. I began doing some flower gardening and found great joy in it. As I was picking flowers to include in my yard, I came across Zinnia's. I noticed them because they were big and beautiful and most of all they said they attracted birds & butterflies. I thought my kids would love that! They lived up to their name and all summer long my garden was full of butterflies. I enjoyed their beauty the whole summer long.
It wasn't until this winter and the yard was covered in snow; that I began to remember the butterflies and their beauty. Just the thought of them made me happy. The more I thought about them, the more I realized that there wasn't anything about butterflies that I do not like. Even as the young caterpillar with unreached potential they are friendly and cuddly. They don't harm anything, they don't pester or annoy. They simply add beauty and grace.
This lead me to contemplate God's purpose in creating them. As I have done so, I've come to the conclusion that butterflies are a perfect example of God's many gifts to us. The only purpose for them that I can see is to beautify our surroundings and bring joy. It makes me think what a loving Heavenly Father we have to bless us with something that might be viewed as frivolous; just to bring us joy. I'm thankful that he cares enough about our joy and happiness through this rough life to bless us with beautiful creations such as butterflies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love this! Especially because I am so in love with nature... everything about it makes me feel so strongly of Heavenly Father's love for us. I so much appreciate your thoughts about this and I love that you can appreciate something so simple in life that can and does bring joy. It's sad to me that so many take these little miracles in life for granted... so thank you for taking the time to point it out!
Pam, Yea! I love your blog. Your kids have gotten so big. Hyrum looks pretty much the same, just a little older. Gabe has changed the most for me. I remember a little bald headed toddler just starting to walk around the yard when we left. The other two totally fit in to your family. How perfect! I am going to add you to my blog list and I hope you will keep posting lots of pictures! You are amazing. I love your optimism! Thanks for getting back in touch! Love, Sherri
Post a Comment