Saturday, June 20, 2009

Does it really help?

For some time now I've wanted to share a conversation I had with a friend a while ago that has stayed with me; and I've thought was worth sharing. I hope it's okay with my friend, but I won't mention her name just in case.
Any way, a while ago we were talking about Felicity and she was asking how we're doing, during the conversation we talked of the Plan of Salvation and the knowledge we have that we lived with our Heavenly Father before we came to earth and that after we die we will return to live with Him again. Plus. the additional knowledge that has been given to us through prophets that we will have the opportunity to raise our deceased infant children from the exact point that they left this life, in the life to come. This knowledge is a great blessing and one I've often taken for granted.
When Felicity passed from this life, many friends consoled me by reminding me of this knowledge. However, in this particular conversation my friend lovingly asked me: "does it really even help?". The strength of my thoughts and feelings in response to this question surprised me. I feel an overwhelming and resounding need to say YES!!!!! It not only helps, it makes all the difference in the world!
As I'm sure you can imagine, this is a very difficult experience to go through. If I had to think that my daughter was just dead and buried in the ground, and my relationship with her was at a final end at this point; before it had barely begun, I would be undone. I don't know how I would go on. But, because I have been blessed with the knowledge that our Savior has made available to us through scriptures and prophets, I have the peace and assurance that I will see my daughter again, that I will still get to raise her, that I will get to know her as I know my other children. Because of this knowledge I know that it's not a final goodbye, only back to waiting for our time to come. I've waited my whole life for my beautiful girl to come, and I will wait again, as I've said before, she was worth the wait before I know she'll be worth the wait again. I'm so glad to know that I just have to be patient and wait. I don't like to wait, but it's so much better waiting and knowing there's something to hope for and look forward to rather than just being the end.
So, once again: "Does it really even help?" YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!! And I'm so grateful that I know.

3 comments:

Taylor family said...

You are so strong! I'm sure it does help. I can't imagine how hard it would be to go through something like that, but you do have that little bit of knowledge that can help you through. What a blessing it is that you have that knowledge and that you know that you will raise your beautiful little girl just as you always dreamed you would.

The Ziemers said...

I am often grateful for my knowledge that there is life after death. I think about you often, Pam, and hope you are doing well. I miss the days of afternoon visits in the parking lot while our kids play.

Tara said...

thanks for sharing that! i often think the same things when I think about my 2 little boys. there is an immense amount of comfort in the knowledge we are so blessed to have!!!!
You have been in my thoughts and prayers often over that last few months.