Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Finishing the course

Another thing that has also been much on my mind this weekend was the hardships that we all seem to face in this life. All around me I see dear friends and loved ones enduring painful and difficult circumstances. We have been taught that we need to know pain that we might be able to see the joy. I must admit that I've often wondered why that was necessary and wished it could be otherwise. But as I contemplated it this weekend, I felt differently. On Sat. during the BBQ, I had a few moments when I felt very close to my daughter. All growing up I have felt particularly close to my maternal Grandmother who passed away when my Mother was only 9 years old. I have always felt a closeness to her and felt that she has watched over me throughout my life. Now I feel doubly blessed to know that I have at the VERY LEAST; and probably many more, two beautiful angels taking particular care of me and my loved ones. I see that our Father in Heaven has a much better view of things than we do and if these trials and hardship will bring us closer to our Father and closer to being eternal families then they are worth the price and help us to know Him better so that we may strive to become like Him.

A while back we had a lesson in Relief Society about Joseph Smith and all the trials he endured in this life. Of particular sorrow for me was hearing once again how many children he laid to rest. I have continued to feel sorrow for them and their many losses over the past few months since that lesson. However, once again as I thought about these things I remembered all I have read recently about these children being perfect and sent straight to our Heavenly Father. How they are among his best and brightest children who've already proved themselves and have no need to do so. As I have thought of these things, I've felt so blessed to have a daughter who loves the Lord more perfectly than I do. I felt it only fitting that Joseph should have not just one such child, but more. Yes, a heartache in this life, but what a blessing from the Lord for eternity, to bless him with such children, to be sure that they will live with him forever and that they were waiting for him to come back home. I can't imagine a more loving gift for a father to give than the absolute knowledge that your child is already with Him waiting for you to finish your journey.

My perspective on life has always been to miss those that have gone before and to feel that they have been cheated of this life. What I now feel sure of is that they're not cheated at all. They've mearly finished their course early and already received their reward. I rejoice and am glad for them and only hope that I can live my life in such a way to some day finish my course with all the joy and expectation of a wonderful reunion!

No comments: