Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Always more to learn

As I pondered my thoughts about Mr. Collins, I thought about how many times I have seen Pride & Prejudice and yet this time as I watched, I learned something new! This made me think of the scriptures and how we're told to always read them and keep reading them. There is always something new, because life always brings us new experiences and new perspectives from which to view them.

We've been reading scriptures with our kids pretty regularly for a while now and currently are at the end of the Book of Mormon. It's been really fun, cause already our kids are beginning to recognize patterns in the scriptures. When we got to Samuel the Lamanite preaching on the city wall, we asked the kids what they thought he'd say. Hyrum in a "Ho Hum" tone of voice replied... "Repent or you'll be destroyed!" We kind of chuckled and then asked why he said that. He replied "Cause he's a prophet and that's what they ALWAYS say!" Then we read the next two paragraphs and sure enough, Samuel tells the people to "Repent or you'll be destroyed".

Now we're reading about Moroni and his last days alone in his righteousness and as we began reading the other night Hyrum again says "We've already read all this, we already know what happens"! I know he was expressing a sense of frustration, but I was thrilled! And we explained to them how we do know it, but we will continue to read it over and over again throughout our lives because we will forget things and we will always learn something new because each day we are able to understand more and Heavenly Father has so much to teach us.

I'm pretty forgetful, so I'm so thankful that we can always learn more or re-learn the old once we've forgotten!

No comments: