Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Marriage the First Priority

“I urge husbands and fathers of this Church to be the kind of men your wives would not want to be without. I urge the sisters of this Church to be patient, loving, and understanding with their husbands. Those who enter into marriage should be fully prepared to establish their marriage as the first priority in their lives.”

James E. Faust, “Fathers, Mothers, Marriage,” Liahona, Aug. 2004, 5


I think this is great advice, especially in this time when life is hard we all need to be there for our spouses. We need to be someone they can lean on and trust! This month I had someone suggest that we express gratitude for something we're thankful for each day until Thanksgiving, I have tried to do that and have been amazed at how EASY it is! We are so blessed! Then I had someone else suggest that we tell our spouses more often what it is that we love and appreciate about them. I decided to combine those two and each day have sent an email to my husband telling him something specific about him that I love and appreciate. This has had a great affect on our attitudes and in our home. It has made me feel better and him as well, then we have done better at uniting to accomplish some family goals we have set and we have worked together to achieve them. It is so important to show and express love to those we love! We can't forget our spouses because they can "take care of themselves" unlike our kids... they need us too and we need them!

1 comment:

The Ziemers said...

I have been thinking along the same lines this week. I have been reading a fabulous book called "Strangling Your Husband is NOT an Option" by Merrilee Browne Boyack. It gives some great suggestions on how to be a "smarter wife." I think you would enjoy it!