First and foremost my Grandmother LOVED her family. She suffered loss, as a girl of 8 years old, her mother died followed by a sister. In later years, she lost a baby boy, then a teenage daughter, and in more recent years, her husband, a 2yr old grandson, a young adult grandson, and a 4 mo old great granddaughter. But still, she had 8 children, 37 grand children, 112 great grand children, and 25 great great grand children and the numbers are still growing! Each and everyone of them felt that she knew them personally and that they had a "special" relationship with her. She knew how to love everyone as the Savior did. She saw the best in everyone!
She had an amazing mind. She could remember all the names of each of those family members clear through her 100th year. This was due in good part to her using her mind. When she was 49 years old she finally finished her degree and began teaching. She taught elementary school for 19 years after that.
She also got called on a Spanish speaking mission with my Grandfather and had to learn the language. She still prided herself on recalling a few words and phrases in Spanish right up until the end.
When she was 86 years old she got called to be the Mia Maid advisor in her ward, and she did it! The girls Loved her! When she was 91 years old, she got a speeding ticket! And for her 100th birthday, a family member had told her that if she reached 100, they'd get her any car she wanted! She wanted a red convertible! Here's a picture of her in it on her 100th birthday!
One of the things I remember my Grandma telling me was: "I realized that I'm just as tired at the end of the day whether I worked hard or not; so I may as well work hard and get something done!" This has stayed with me for a long time and I will always remember this advice from my Grandma.
She is the best example I know of for enduring to the end and remaining faithful. She is a wonderful matriarch and all who meet her want to please her and be around her. I used to wonder how she did that. How did she get those around her to want to do their best for her and to please her and want her to be proud of them. Then I finally realized that she learned how to love as the Savior loves.
I hope and pray that I can live up to her example, even if I can only develop a portion of what my Grandma has taught through example; my life will be richly blessed. I'm so thankful for her and the lesson she showed us of leaving EVERYTHING better for her having touched it. I love you Grandma and will miss you every day!
1 comment:
What a beautiful tribute. She sounds like a wonderful woman and a great example. I'm going to live by her example and work harder during the day because I am going to be tired no matter what:)
Post a Comment