Sunday, October 18, 2009

Jail

Funny story... every once in a while on Sunday nights we have a craving for pop, and none in the house. On these rare and oh so torturous occasions we all hop into the van and make a pop run to the local Macey's grocery store and raid the Shasta vending machines outside.

Tonight we made such a trip. While we were there, there happened to be 2 police cars in the parking lot at the same time and we had passed the officers on the side walk as we went to the machines. After we had loaded up and were back in the car we were trying to get the kids to put their seat belts on and told the kids they'd better do it so the police men didn't take them away to jail (probably harsh I know, but it works). Hyrum pipes up that maybe they'd take one of us (Anthony or myself) to jail instead. We said no cause we had our buckles on and then Hyrum says "Oh yea, and cause you've already been to jail, right Dad?" I burst out laughing! It was classic!

Briefly, for those of you who don't know; the Sat. night before Isaac was born (Halloween weekend in Provo) we were out of milk and I asked Anthony to run to the store and grab some so we'd have some for Sunday.

On the way back home, he got pulled over for a blown head light by a cop and his trainee (confirmed the next day at church by an officer in our ward). Anthony had a replacement bulb sitting on the center console and just hadn't put it in yet. All the sudden, the cops searched his car full of two gallons of milk, and three car seats; had him get out of the car and told him he had an unpaid ticket from a few summers ago in Kentucky when we had worked a summer job there (which we'd completely forgotten all about). They told him he had to pay the ticket right then in cash or he would have to go down town and they would book him until it was paid.

Needless to say, He was cuffed and put in the back of the cop car and taken down town until a friend came to pick him up. I was at home with our other two children asleep in bed and we only had one car at the time. Anyway, we joked about how he had gone to jail and three years later Hyrum still remembers it even though he was only 3yrs old at the time! Kids are just amazing! And too funny! :)

3 comments:

smiles said...

I use that threat on my kids all the time...most of the time it works!=-) I didn't know that story about Anthony...pretty funny!=-) Miss you guys!=-)

"The Landlord" said...

SO FUNNY - Especially since almost exactly the same thing happened to me! I'd forgotten about a fix-it ticket in Provo several years earlier and had moved so I never got the notices! Well, when I got pulled over (after leaving a party for my set apart brother in law that was just about to report to the MTC, I might add) the only thing I could think of was 'I'm supposed to teach Sunday School tomorrow and it's too late to get a sub!' I was sure I'd be in the slammer till monday and we could get cash! (we finally figured out we could charge it and was only 'in jail' for about an hour and a half :)
Have an awesome day!

Theresa Escalante said...

That is the BEST story EVER!