Friday, October 23, 2009

Living with our own warts...

“The second key to an adequate self-esteem is humility. I do not mean the breast-beating, sackcloth-and-ashes kind of humility. I mean the humility that comes with inner strength and peace. It is the humility that allows us to accept and live with our own warts, without cosmetics to hide them.”

James E. Faust, “The Value of Self-Esteem,” CES fireside for young adults, May 6, 2007


This hit me when I read it. Knowing I always have a ton to work on, I thought I wasn't too bad... I felt comfortable with my strengths and my weaknesses and felt that I accept them well enough while trying to improve them. And didn't feel the need to focus and work in this area. I felt complacent.

Then I read this and realized how many of my faults I'm not comfortable with and how much I'd like to keep them hidden away where only I can see them or at least hidden to the degree they are camouflaged and less obvious.

I now see another area of my life where pride has entered in and I am giving it power over me and my subsequent actions. I'm glad to have it pointed out and can now apply myself in coming to terms with them and striving to overcome them. I'm so grateful for the apostles and the perspective they bring. I hope to develop eyes to see as they do.

No comments: